Monday, June 03, 2013

Comparing grasses in SG to the other side

Now playin': Living Louder - The Cab
*This post was actually in my draft since the 5th of May 2013 - a day after I got back. I AM THE QUEEN OF PROCRASTINATION.
_________________________________________________

Seems like I haven't updated in the longest time! For what it's worth, I have been extremely busy with.....


ENJOYING LIFE. 

So I just got back yesterday (well i blogged this on the 5th of May and i got back on the 4th...which explains the "yesterday" bit)  from spending THREE WEEKS IN SYDNEY! Yessss. Australia, again! I really do wanna visit every part of Australia before moving on to another continent! Everywhere I go, it's a different sort of adventure... an experience. It never ceases to amaze me. Also, just to be clear, when I say comparing GRASSES in my title, it's clearly a metaphor. 

There's actually another post I did, a summary of my trip but I'm too lazy to finish it. I'll get that done in time to come. But I digress! Here's a pic of me standing on a cliff...near the edge (#yolo):



I know it doesnt look like it but I was freezing my guts out! But the breathtaking view was more important than the cold!

_____________________________________________________

DISCLAIMER:


This post will have A LOT of comparisons and if you're a Singaporean and are unable to take any sort of criticism on those in & of Singapore that I'll be talking about, I suggest that you STOP reading right now


_____________________________________________________


It reached a point where for some reason, I felt very attached to the country. I knew my way around (plus, every time I got lost, I always found myself at either the circular quay, harbour bridge, Syd opera house or royal botanic garden). I mean I still got lost....LIKE ALL THE TIME. So thank goodness for Google Maps & GPS! But I was no longer scared I may get mugged or raped or killed off the streets or shit like that. HAHAHAHAHA. Omg, and to think, just earlier today, I was telling a friend that I wasn't a worrywart. Clearly I was wrong. So anyway, as I was saying, I knew what I wanted to visit because I did my research beforehand and wrote out a list (yeah, I'm systematic like that). I learned how to read the bus signs/schedules/whatever that was called.


THE PUBLIC


People (as in the general public) there weren't as friendly as those in Adelaide and Melbourne but still, as compared to Singapore, they were still pretty ace! It became common for strangers to just talk to me. Everyone's so much more sociable there. In fact, I am inclined to believe that people are relatively more sociable in MOST countries.... except for those similar to Singapore. In terms of mannerism and service, the people there are better too! They ALWAYS start off with,

"Hey! How're you doing today?" or "Hey! My name's ________. *shakes hand*" 


And they get a conversation going and then end off with a, "It was really nice to meet you! Have a g'day/night!" 

But in Singapore, no one is arse to have a conversation with anyone out of sheer spontaneity. Take those who work in places like the supermarkets, they're just like..

"Hi. It's (insert amount). Do you have a (name of card)? Here's your change." 



MANNERISM


I don't usually donate very often (call me stingy all you want but I pick the people who I feel like donating to. Your judgments bear no weight. In other words, FUCK YOUR JUDGMENTS!) but I do when I deem fit, usually I would donate to those who ask politely and with a cause that I think I should support.

Yeah, I'm picky like that. Alas, majority of those who have asked me for donations were never really polite.. explaining why I seldom donate. However, during my trip, I donated quite a bit because the people there will actually make you feel comfortable and hold a conversation and ask for donations VERY nicely and so polite, you would WANT to donate. And if you didn't, they wouldn't give you a bitchy stare or whatever but the niceness stays. Whether or not they may talk behind you is up to them. Just the mere fact that they remain polite and with a smile is something that Singaporeans should really learn. Aggressive would be the right word to use on MAJORITY (I didn't generalise by saying ALL) of such people in SG.

Which leads me to my next part - I was approached recently by a girl (I'm being very nice here by not thrashing her looks) who was asking donation for im not too sure what (she was mumbling with her -_- face) and I POLITELY told her I was not interested. This girl had the galls to say,


'Thanks for NOT helping.' 

And stormed off before I could even reply and I was like... THE FUCK JUST HAPPENED, BITCH? Here's what was she did wrong:

1) Did not say hi.
2) Was mumbling.
3) Did not look pleasant or even bother to smile at the very least.
4) Barely any eye contact (probs cos her rebonded fringe was covering half her face? idk.)
5) Was so fucking rude to someone she was asking something from.

WHAT IN THE WORLD.... I CAN'T EVEN...  PREPOSTEROUS! NO. JUST NO.

You absolutely DO NOT talk to someone that way. Like even if you wanted to say something as rude as that, do it behind the person at the very least! Do you not have brains or something? I am in no way obligated to donate and I did not like your face, so why should I donate? Like bitch please.

Call me whiny or whatever, but being in a place where most people were pretty polite (at least so far, everyone that I've met have been pretty damn polite and respectful), I developed the habit of being that way and then I come back here and B A M! Reality slaps me in the face, reminding me that like...dayyyum gurl, fellas here aint so nice. Tbh, it makes me question the culture we have here in Singapore - majority of the people here do not seem to mind their Ps & Qs. Wait, I do not even think they know what Ps & Qs are to begin with. My point exactly. SMH.

There's also bus drivers who are really polite and people saying thanks to the driver as they alight. The older generation doesnt act like vultures on the public transport and stare at people who do not give up their seats for them too!!! And usually the guys will offer the girls seats if it's really crowded. I dont know if this happens all the time & to everyone but this usually happens to me. So YAY. But of course I don't usually take up the offer! (I'm more polite there too!)


PRICES

After all that, I think i gotta give Singapore some credit - pricing of stuffs. It's EXTREMELY expensive over in Syd. Which has made me question how in the world my heart did not bleed when I bought randomass crap for the fun of it, wasting my money, especially when I know I can buy those random things in Singapore. Probs cos the feeling of buying it overseas is wayyyyy better. Yeap, making myself feel better right now. The exchange rate definitely did not help one bit. :/

But this doesn't really apply to the whole of Aussie because the fact is, Sydney is one of the most expensive cities in the world! Which also means that there're other parts of OZ that's more affordable.

To sum this up, I came home a pauper. HAHAHAHAHA.


SALES

Despite the prices there being RIDICULOUS, when there were sales....THE SALES WERE REALLY SALES! Most of these sales (or at least ALL that I came across) were between 60% - 90% off! IMAGINE THAT! It was mental! Which explains why I shopped nearly EVERYDAY. Plus, I also found so many hidden shops that were on sale! I mean.... I found QUALITY clothes and shoes for as low at AUD$3.75! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA IMAGINE MY HAPPINESS!

I mean in Singapore, that's gonna be hard to find! Don't bother even saying, "BUGIS HAVE!" The stuffs there are shit, insanely common & now, they're getting pricey-er!


SAFETY


Well, I pretty much stayed away from certain places that were filled with pubs and clubs and loads of drunkards so in a way, I kinda kept myself "out of harms way". But I did go out from morning till like 8/9ish at night which is actually a no-no for a girl to do there. The sun usually sets really early and it's pretty damn dark by 6pm but thankfully, my gung-ho-ness hasn't got me into any harm, period. But I heard there were stabbings and muggings that happened but thank God I didn't come across any such thing (so my perfect trip hasnt been tainted!!!!) so imho, i felt it was rather safe there!

Of course I still think Singapore's one of the safest countries in the world, hands down! Possibly one of the main reasons to why I'm sticking around, tbh.

_____________________________________________________

Actually there's tons more comparing I'd do but I'm too lazy to. :/ All in all, I had an AHMAYYYYYYZING time there! From the people, to the adventures and places I visited, to the random shit I did and just mainly things that I'd never thought I'd do, especially here in Singapore. It was INSANE how reluctant I was to return to Singapore. INSANE. Especially so cos after all I've heard of the country, i really thought I wouldn't have such a great time there! If I've the chance, I'd definitely go back for another visit. Most photos are compressed into my Instagram. So if you're curious... my username's "nurdiyanatanyy"! :) xx

No comments: